Hello and welcome to Sportstar’s live coverage of the Pink Ball Test between Australia Women and India Women in Carrara. This is Lavanya Lakshminarayanan and Dhruva Prasad and we’ll be taking you through day 3’s play today.
STUMPS: DAY 2 SCORE: IND 276/5 (101.5 overs)
STUMPS: DAY 1 SCORE: IND 132/1 (44.1 overs)
Jason Gillespie has weighed in on the Punam Raut- Spirit of the Game discussion: The “spirit of cricket”, and what constitutes this, differs from country to country and in some cases, between states/counties/provinces/islands.
The laws of the game are in place. Stick to these and the grey areas within our game are removed.
Weather forecast for day 3: Its 25° in the Gold Coast now with the sun expected to stick around consistently. We’re clear in terms of rain possibility. Let’s see how the day progresses. Excited about the prospect of a full day’s play.
Day 02 recap:
- India started the day on 132/1 with Punam Raut and Smriti Mandhana at the crease
- Mandhana scored her maiden Test century which came with a bunch of records
- Raut walked after thinking she knicked the ball to the keeper despite the umpire denying the wicket
- India was at 276/5 when rain interrupted the match yet again. Lightning activity quickly moved to a full-fledged hail storm. A wet outfield meant play was called off for the day
- With just two days remaining in the Test, India faces the decision of declaration to open up the contest a little more.
- 108 overs will need to be bowled on the last two days now, with the 30-minute advanced start to make up for delays as was set at the end of day 1
- Deepti Sharma and Taniya Bhatia will resume for India on Saturday
Day 01 recap:
- Meg Lanning won the toss and chose to field
- Smriti Mandhana and Shafali Verma put together a 93-run partnership for the first wicket
- Australian pacers struggled to bowl the right lengths to the openers, especially Smriti. The wicket did not provide the help Lanning anticipated
- Lone wicket of Shafali Verma falls on day 1
- Rain washed out two sessions almost entirely
- India ends day 1 on 132/1 with Smriti Mandhana unbeaten on 80
- Adjustment: Day 2,3,4 will begin 30 minutes early to adjust overs lost on day 1
Here is a detailed analysis of day 1 and what went right and wrong for both sides:
The Mandhana storm, rain delay and a frustrating day for Aussies
THE SERIES SO FAR: Australia comes into this Test with a 2-1 lead in the three ODIs played in Mackay. The third ODI saw India bring Meg Lanning’s side’s unbeaten run in the format to an end. 26 consecutive wins in the format is no joke and it rightly took a special performance from the Indians to halt this record run. Read more here:
India beats Australia by two wickets to end 26-match ODI unbeaten streak
Australia XI: Healy (wk), Mooney, Lanning (c), Perry, McGrath, Gardner, Sutherland, Molineux, Wareham, Brown, Campbell
India XI: Mandhana, Verma, Raut, Raj (c), Y.Bhatia, Sharma, T Bhatia (wk), Vastrakar, Goswami, Singh, Gayakwad
There are quite a few injury updates ahead of this Test. Harmanpreet Kaur will not play this game due to a thumb injury. For Australia, Rachel Haynes will sit out not just this Test but the rest of the series due a hamstring injury she sustained during the ODI leg of the series.
WEATHER FORECAST: There is a storm warning and a rain forecast for the first two days of the Test. We hope we manage to get some decent time out in the field today.
|FOUR POINTS ARE ON OFFER FOR THE WINNER OF THIS TEST MATCH. Should Australia win, the side will take an unassailable lead in the series.|
HERE’S HOW THE POINTS TABLE OF THE MULTI-FORMAT SERIES LOOKS:
WHERE TO WATCH
You can catch the one-off Pink Ball Test between India and Australia on the Sony Sports Network. The match will also be streamed live on the Sony Liv app.harm